Need another word that means the same as “gender”? Find 2 synonyms and 30 related words for “gender” in this overview.
The synonyms of “Gender” are: sex, sexuality
Gender as a Noun
Definitions of "Gender" as a noun
According to the Oxford Dictionary of English, “gender” as a noun can have the following definitions:
- Members of a particular gender considered as a group.
- Either of the two sexes (male and female), especially when considered with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones. The term is also used more broadly to denote a range of identities that do not correspond to established ideas of male and female.
- The properties that distinguish organisms on the basis of their reproductive roles.
- The property (in nouns and related words) of belonging to a grammatical gender.
- The fact or condition of belonging to or identifying with a particular gender.
- A grammatical category in inflected languages governing the agreement between nouns and pronouns and adjectives; in some languages it is quite arbitrary but in Indo-European languages it is usually based on sex or animateness.
- (in languages such as Latin, French, and German) each of the classes (typically masculine, feminine, common, neuter) of nouns and pronouns distinguished by the different inflections which they have and which they require in words syntactically associated with them. Grammatical gender is only very loosely associated with natural distinctions of sex.
Synonyms of "Gender" as a noun (2 Words)
|sexuality||A person’s identity in relation to the gender or genders to which they are typically attracted; sexual orientation.|
She began to understand the power of her sexuality.
Usage Examples of "Gender" as a noun
- Social interaction between the genders.
- Determiners and adjectives usually agree with the noun in gender and number.
- I'm a strong believer that gender is fluid.
- Someone of the opposite gender.
- Everyone always asks which gender I identify as.
- Encouraging women and girls to join fields traditionally dominated by the male gender.
- A condition that affects people of both genders.
- Video ads will target users based only on age and gender.
- Traditional concepts of gender.
Associations of "Gender" (30 Words)
|agape||A religious meal shared as a sign of love and fellowship.|
Downes listened mouth agape with incredulity.
|ambidextrous||(of an implement) designed to be used by left-handed and right-handed people with equal ease.|
Few of us are naturally ambidextrous.
|androgynous||Relating to or exhibiting both female and male sex organs but with a predominantly female appearance.|
He used surgery and cosmetics to make his face look pasty and bizarrely androgynous.
|asexual||(of reproduction) not involving the fusion of gametes.|
I d been smitten with Fox but in an entirely asexual way.
|bisexual||(of a flower) having both stamens and pistils; hermaphrodite.|
In fungi unisexual reproduction has been observed in several species that can also undergo traditional bisexual reproduction.
|buoyant||(of an economy, business, or market) involving or engaged in much successful trade or activity.|
Car sales were buoyant.
|dating||Use of chemical analysis to estimate the age of geological specimens.|
|discrimination||Unfair treatment of a person or group on the basis of prejudice.|
Discrimination between right and wrong.
|eros||God of love; son of Aphrodite; identified with Roman Cupid.|
|heterosexual||A heterosexual person.|
|homosexual||Someone who practices homosexuality having a sexual attraction to persons of the same sex.|
|inequality||A symbolic expression of the fact that two quantities are not equal.|
The growing inequality between rich and poor.
|male||Of a fitting or part of machinery manufactured to fit inside a corresponding female part.|
A male holly tree.
|neuter||The neuter gender.|
Soft languid sexually neuter types.
|obscenity||Obscene behaviour, language, or images.|
A stream of invective and obscenity.
|patriarchy||A system of society or government in which the father or eldest male is head of the family and descent is reckoned through the male line.|
The dominant ideology of patriarchy.
|prejudiced||Being biased or having a belief or attitude formed beforehand.|
|prostitution||The unworthy or corrupt use of one’s talents for personal or financial gain.|
The sale of captives into slavery and prostitution.
|prurient||Characterized by lust.|
|racial||Of or characteristic of race or races or arising from differences among groups.|
|reproductive||Relating to or effecting reproduction.|
The female reproductive system.
|segregation||A social system that provides separate facilities for minority groups.|
The segregation of pupils with learning difficulties.
|sexism||Prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.|
Sexism in language is an offensive reminder of the way the culture sees women.
|sexist||A person with sexist views.|
I want to make it clear that I m certainly not a sexist.
|subculture||A social group within a national culture that has distinctive patterns of behavior and beliefs.|
In what ways does the social environment predispose certain individuals to join delinquent subcultures.
|vulgarity||The state or quality of being vulgar.|
He was seen as the embodiment of the vulgarity of the 1980s.