Need another word that means the same as “cosmopolitan”? Find 25 synonyms and 30 related words for “cosmopolitan” in this overview.
- Cosmopolitan as a Noun
- Definitions of "Cosmopolitan" as a noun
- Synonyms of "Cosmopolitan" as a noun (1 Word)
- Usage Examples of "Cosmopolitan" as a noun
- Cosmopolitan as an Adjective
- Definitions of "Cosmopolitan" as an adjective
- Synonyms of "Cosmopolitan" as an adjective (24 Words)
- Usage Examples of "Cosmopolitan" as an adjective
- Associations of "Cosmopolitan" (30 Words)
The synonyms of “Cosmopolitan” are: ecumenical, general, oecumenical, universal, world-wide, worldwide, international, multiracial, global, worldly, worldly-wise, well travelled, knowing, aware, mature, seasoned, experienced, cultivated, cultured, sophisticated, suave, urbane, polished, refined, cosmopolite
Cosmopolitan as a Noun
Definitions of "Cosmopolitan" as a noun
According to the Oxford Dictionary of English, “cosmopolitan” as a noun can have the following definitions:
- A plant or animal found all over the world.
- A cocktail made with Cointreau, lemon vodka, cranberry juice, and lime juice.
- A sophisticated person who has travelled in many countries.
- A cosmopolitan person.
Synonyms of "Cosmopolitan" as a noun (1 Word)
|cosmopolite||A sophisticated person who has travelled in many countries.|
The true cosmopolite the great world figure always had his roots deep in the peculiar soil of his own country.
Usage Examples of "Cosmopolitan" as a noun
- Cosmopolitans who spoke both Spanish and English.
Cosmopolitan as an Adjective
Definitions of "Cosmopolitan" as an adjective
According to the Oxford Dictionary of English, “cosmopolitan” as an adjective can have the following definitions:
- Composed of people from or at home in many parts of the world; especially not provincial in attitudes or interests.
- Of worldwide scope or applicability.
- Familiar with and at ease in many different countries and cultures.
- Having an exciting and glamorous character associated with travel and a mixture of cultures.
- Of worldwide scope or applicability- Christopher Morley.
- (of a plant or animal) found all over the world.
- Including people from many different countries.
- Growing or occurring in many parts of the world.
- Composed of people from or at home in many parts of the world; especially not provincial in attitudes or interests- T.B. Macaulay.
Synonyms of "Cosmopolitan" as an adjective (24 Words)
|aware||Having or showing knowledge or understanding or realization or perception.|
Was aware of his opponent s hostility.
|cultivated||Marked by refinement in taste and manners.|
He was a remarkably cultivated and educated man.
|cultured||Characterized by refined taste and manners and good education.|
A cultured and intelligent man.
|ecumenical||Concerned with promoting unity among churches or religions.|
He was a member of ecumenical committees.
|experienced||Having gained knowledge or skill in a particular field over time.|
An experienced social worker.
|general||Prevailing among and common to the general public.|
|global||Relating to or encompassing the whole of something, or of a group of things.|
Give students a global picture of what is involved in the task.
|international||Concerning or belonging to all or at least two or more nations.|
|knowing||Characterized by conscious design or purpose.|
A knowing collector of rare books.
|mature||Fully developed or matured and ready to be eaten or used.|
She was now a mature woman.
|multiracial||Made up of or involving or acting on behalf of various races.|
|oecumenical||Of worldwide scope or applicability.|
|polished||To trim and smooth.|
Freshly polished silver.
|refined||Free from what is tawdry or unbecoming.|
Due to the limitations of the available tools a more refined analysis of the data may be necessary.
|seasoned||Aged or processed.|
|sophisticated||Appealing to or frequented by people who are sophisticated.|
A young man with sophisticated tastes.
|suave||Smoothly agreeable and courteous with a degree of sophistication.|
All the waiters were suave and deferential.
|universal||Applicable to or common to all members of a group or set.|
The play opened to universal acclaim.
|urbane||Showing a high degree of refinement and the assurance that comes from wide social experience.|
Urbane wit was the mark of taste and cultivation.
|well travelled||In good health especially after having suffered illness or injury.|
|world-wide||Spanning or extending throughout the entire world.|
|worldly||Of or concerned with material values or ordinary life rather than a spiritual existence.|
Worldly goods and advancement.
|worldly-wise||Experienced in and wise to the ways of the world.|
|worldwide||Of worldwide scope or applicability Christopher Morley.|
A worldwide epidemic.
Usage Examples of "Cosmopolitan" as an adjective
- Their designs became a byword for cosmopolitan chic.
- An issue of cosmopolitan import.
- Immigration transformed the city into a cosmopolitan metropolis.
- His knowledge of French, Italian, and Spanish made him genuinely cosmopolitan.
- Cosmopolitan in distribution.
- That queer, cosmopolitan, rather sinister crowd found around the Marseilles docks.
- His cosmopolitan benevolence impartially extended to all races and to all creeds.
- A cosmopolitan herb.
- The ancient and cosmopolitan societies of Syria and Egypt.
Associations of "Cosmopolitan" (30 Words)
|airline||A commercial enterprise that provides scheduled flights for passengers.|
|astronaut||A person who is trained to travel in a spacecraft.|
The Russians called their astronauts cosmonauts.
|atlas||The 1st cervical vertebra.|
A road atlas.
|cosmos||A system of thought.|
The new gender free intellectual cosmos.
|countrywide||Extending throughout a nation.|
A countrywide tour.
|ecumenical||Of worldwide scope or applicability- Christopher Morley.|
The shrewdest political and ecumenical comment of our time.
|extensively||In a widespread way.|
The house was extensively damaged by the fire.
|general||Command as a general.|
A general introduction to the subject.
|generic||A consumer product having no brand name or registered trademark.|
Acetaminophen is the generic form of the proprietary drug Tylenol.
|global||Relating to the whole world; worldwide.|
Global monetary policy.
|globalization||The process by which businesses or other organizations develop international influence or start operating on an international scale.|
The globalization of the communication industry.
|globe||Form something into a globe.|
There in miniature the world was globed like a fruit.
|greenpeace||An international organization that works for environmental conservation and the preservation of endangered species.|
|inclusive||Including much or everything; and especially including stated limits.|
Only an inclusive peace process will end the conflict.
|intercontinental||Extending or taking place between or among continents.|
Intercontinental ballistic missiles.
|international||A player who has taken part in an international game or contest.|
|internationally||In, between, or among many different nations.|
An internationally renowned artist.
|migration||Movement from one part of something to another.|
The extensive rural to urban migration has created a severe housing shortage.
Magazines oriented to the business community.
|route||Send via a specific route.|
The scenic route from Florence to Siena.
|southward||The cardinal compass point that is at 180 degrees.|
People began a southward drift.
|transcontinental||A transcontinental railway or train.|
A transcontinental city.
|transnational||Involving or operating in several nations or nationalities.|
Transnational terrorist networks.
|traveled||Traveled over or through sometimes used as a combining term.|
A traveled educated man.
|trip||Make a trip for pleasure.|
The man was determined to trip him up on his economics.
|universal||A universal grammatical rule or linguistic feature.|
The play opened to universal acclaim.
|westward||Toward the west.|
The journey covers eight time zones in a westward direction.
|world||People in general considered as a whole.|
The ancient world.
|worldwide||Of worldwide scope or applicability.|
Worldwide sales of television rights.